Distilled water is water that has had many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water such as well water, sea water or tap water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.
You can distill water to further purify the water you have, to make drinking water for emergencies, or to get water on camping trips. There are several methods for making distilled water, so you can save yourself some money and distill it yourself.
Make your own in 8 easy steps:
- Fill a 5-gallon (18.927 L) stainless steel pot about halfway full with the water you want to purify.
- Place a glass bowl in the water, one which can float. The bowl should not touch the bottom of the pot.
- The distilled water dripping into the bowl should be hot but should not boil. If the water begins to boil, turn down the heat on the stove.
- Create a condensation effect with a cold barrier. You can do this by inverting the pot's lid and filling it with ice. When hot steam hits the cold lid, it will create condensation.
- As the water in the pot continues to boil, it will cause steam to rise and condense on the pot's lid. The condensed distilled water will drip into the bowl.
- Remove your pot from the heat and take off the lid once you have enough water in the bowl to satisfy your needs.
- Take the bowl of distilled water out of the pot of boiling water. Use caution when doing this as you could burn yourself. We would prefer waiting a while, allowing the pot to cool down.
- Allow the distilled water to cool before bottling and storing.
However, if you are not on the market to distill your own water and wondering where to buy distilled water, give us a call on 0845 006 3309 or chat to one of our friendly customer service consultants on live chat via the website who will cater to your distilled water needs.